Amy Contreras of Amethyst Interiors offered up her best tips and debunked common misconceptions that plague many homeowners when they embark upon a remodel or refresh of an existing space. She began by putting her attendees at ease conveying that decorating is not a mystery. It involves logic, theory and inspiration. Influences on design can be from travels, art and even fashion.
One of the most common misconceptions is that a designer can walk into a room and instantly know how to ‘fix’ a room to make it look better. Not necessarily. It takes a lot of preliminary work and planning. To get your best result, she suggests the following 3 steps:
- Determine your needs based upon your lifestyle. Design should complement your day-to-day living.
- Take inventory of your possessions.
- Work with your project team. Do your goals align with the potential of the space? This is an important and often overlooked step. When building or remodeling, ask your interior designer to draw up your final plan.
Also, pay attention to ‘rhythms of rooms’. In order for a room to look cohesive, always blend the following rhythms: Soft – Hard, Open – Closed, Airy – Solid, Low – High. When these 4 rhythms are adhered to, your room will appear well-balanced and inviting.
Good tips to bear in mind:
- The living room is the MOST important room in the house. It sets the tone for the rest of the home, so it’s the perfect place to start.
- With open floor plans dominating the way we live, make sure adjoining views complement each other between colors, patterns and style. This creates a cohesive ambiance.
- Fabrics: Always mix fabric content. Mix textures as much as possible to make it interesting.
Lastly, Amy solves the great “WHITE” debate by offering up her favorite white paints for certain applications around the home. For woodwork: Benjamin Moore, Dove White. For ceilings: Benjamin Moore, Super White. For ceilings up against stained wood crown molding or paneling: Benjamin Moore, Linen White.
Thank you Amy for such an informative workshop! Our next complimentary Designer On Call Workshop is Tuesday, September 15 at 10:30 am hosted by Rebekah Perry Clark of Decorating Den Interiors entitled “Transitioning Your Home From Ordinary to Extraordinary”. Click Here to RSVP.
Amethyst Interiors LLC
5375 Bay Harbor Drive
Indianapolis, IN 46254
Amethyst Interiors LLC was founded in 2012 by Amy Y. Contreras, who has been working in the design industry for over a decade. She holds degrees from the Rhode Island School of Design, the oldest and highest ranking design school in the US, and The Art Institutes school in Indianapolis. She is an ASID Allied Member who provides high quality, personalized interior design and decorating services to clients in the Indianapolis metro area and beyond.